Thursday, March 12, 2015

A Brass Lamp Makeover: Industrial Metal Look Paint

When you makeover a room, like I am in the process of doing, sometimes a limited budget requires getting creative. I've had this brass lamp since 1984 when this cute picture was taken. Karli was three. Check out the old waterbed in the master bedroom as well.




I know that "Brass is Back" and I do have brass touches throughout my home, but in this case, I wanted a new lamp but decided to make this one over instead. I should have taken a close up of the lamp so you could see it better. But I often jump right in before thinking about the fact that I should document what I did.


Anyway, I cleaned up the lamp base and wrapped the cord with painter's tape, just to keep the overspray from hitting it. I got creative and used leftover spray paint from other projects. I first used a can of spray primer (ruddy red). After that was dry, I applied a light coat of the Krylon Brushed Metallic, Oil Rubbed Bronze in Satin Finish. Then, while that was still wet, I sprayed on some of the Rust-Oleum Hammered Spray Finish in Brown, in random areas. After those were dry I sprayed on the Krylon Looking Glass Finish, where the seams of the lamp base are. I then went back added in areas of the Oil Rubbed Bronze Finish to create shading. Here are the products, except for the primer.




The finished lamp looks like a new one, right? I did replace the white pleated shade with a khaki one. I think the lamp now looks more industrial and fits right in with the metal straps we added to the oak library table. That was another makeover project we did to cover the oak veneer edges that were peeling up.





I am still working on this room but it is slowing coming together with more fun than funds!




Still getting crafty, Kandy     

No comments:

Post a Comment