Friday, October 3, 2014

5 Helpful Tips For Selecting New Carpet


I am so excited that I can hardly stand it! We are getting new carpet for our home.

When we moved into this house, we had 1970's shag carpet in each room: white in the living room, green in the den, blue in one bedroom, and red/orange in another. We replaced it all with a sculptured carpet in a dark tan throughout the house. My thought at the time was, "this will wear like iron and is the color of dirt.....perfect." ( You can see it fairly well in the photo below)



That was the Spring of 1983. After almost 32 years, I think I am ready for new carpet!!!!!

Karli has known for many years how badly I wanted new carpeting, so she mentioned to a friend that she should call me (that friend just happens to work at a Flooring Store).   Well, that was all it took...


I went to the Flooring Store prepared. I am no expert, but I do want to share some tips to help anyone who is considering a major purchase like carpeting. Here is what I did:


1.  Take your own samples to the store with you. I carry a ziplock baggy filled with paint samples from different rooms in my house. I also include any fabrics I have for pillows, bedding, etc. If you don't have a piece of the fabric from your sofa, match it as closely as you can to a paint color. I know this sounds crazy, but I even wore a vest that was similar to the taupe/gray color I was looking for.


2.  Do some research before you go.  Check out info online or in magazines. Have some ideas as to what you are looking for. There are thousands of carpets out there. You can easily be overwhelmed if you look at everything. Don't waste your time looking at gray shag if that is not what you want. I already knew that I wanted a textured look, not plush, so I did not confuse myself by looking at every carpet sample in the store.


3.  Ask questions.  You are probably not going to be an expert on carpet. That is what your salesperson is for. Don't be afraid to ask about the fabric content, the warranty, the pricing, the pad, the tear-out and removal, the furniture moving, etc. The more you know, the better decision you can make. I might also mention that having faith in your salesperson is beneficial. You may not want to buy a carpet just because it is on sale that week and they have 30,000 square feet!  (Or you might!)


4.  Take home some samples.  Narrow it down to several and ask to take them home for a day or two. You need to see that carpet in each of your rooms (if using it throughout your home) and look at it in different light (daylight and evening with lamps on). Lay it on the floor next to your furniture or under the edge of the bed. Stand back and study your choices. Then start scrapping those you absolutely don't like!


5.  Take your samples back and don't be afraid to get more and try again.  Maybe, like me, you didn't exactly like anything you brought home the first time. I only get to make these choices every 30 years or so. I wanted to be sure that I would love my selection.


In my second round of bringing home samples, I found a carpet I love. Now comes the challenging part...getting ready to put carpet throughout my home, that same house that I have lived in for the last almost 32 years.


I will continue to post our progress as we clean out stuff, move stuff, toss stuff, burn stuff, and give stuff to Karli as we get ready to tear out the old and bring in the new.


I can hardly wait!


Kandy 

No comments:

Post a Comment